Sunday, April 4, 2010

Several Nights in Bangkok

Warning - long, picture intense post coming:

Recently I returned from a work trip in Bangkok, Thailand, and because a few coworkers and I stayed a few extra days, I thought I'd share the sights we saw.


Our hotel, the Hilton Bangkok, was along the main river in the city, the Chao Phraya. The hotel had a shuttle from one side of the river to the other.

One of the first days, our group went on a long-tail boat tour. These boats go really fast and cruise around the canals on Bangkok, which run between the homes supported on stilts over the river. Some are nice and some are not-so-nice.



Our driver took us to 'the market,' which was simply two ladies selling their trinkets to tourists who are brought by. Many years ago the floating markets were used as the primary way to sell fruits, vegetables and other items, but today they are mostly tourist destinations.


Here are some of the long-tail boats in the foreground. The Temple of Wat Arunratchawararam Ratchaworamahawihan (Wat Arun for short) is in the background, which is one of the most visited Buddhist temples in the city.


It is decorated very ornately with seashells and porcelain.


My coworker Kimya and I climbed as high as we could using the very tall & narrow stairs!


Our next stop was the Grand Palace, which is the residence of the King of Thailand since the 18th century. I was wearing capri pants which weren't proper enough to enter. Luckily they had a convenient clothing rental station and for 300 baht ($9.30USD) I rented this skirt. After taking off our shoes, we were ready to enter The Temple of the Emerald Buddha. According to legend, the Emerald Buddha was created in 43 BC in India.


The golden buildings are very impressive in person.


Back at the hotel, I had the best chicken pad thai ever! It is actually wrapped in egg. Delicious! This is probably the only meal I finished in Bangkok.


There is an area of Thailand called Patpong, which is known as a destination for both night markets for shopping, and a red light district for another kind of shopping.


Several ladies in our group were hunting down knock-off purses. When the store staff brings you through a secret back closet, up some stairs, through more closets and up more stairs to a secret purse salesroom, you know you've found the best designer imposter goods you can get.

From Patpong we took a tuk-tuk back to the hotel, which is a Bangkok must-do activity!


Thailand is a very inexpensive place to visit, but if you are feeling homesick and want to pay $15 for a drink, there are places for you! This is Sky Bar, the tallest building in the city, with a rooftop bar of course.


Thailand was definitely a unique and fun place to visit, but might not be for everyone. Next time, I want to check out the beaches, the jungle, and everything else the country has to offer.

- Laurie

1 comment:

  1. Cool pix. A lot of GIs took R & R in Bangkok but I went to Sydney, instead. Now I can see what I missed.

    ReplyDelete