For some time now I've had the occasional desire to lace up my figure skates again. From the age of 3 through 15, I was a competitive skater, being part of the world of costumes, individual programs, 6am ice time, annual ice shows, and tons of fun with friends, especially on our Silverblades synchro-team. Ever since my good friend Jodi easily got back into skating again in college, I always wondered what it would be like.
Adding more fuel to the fire is the fact that Teri's Minnesota wedding festivities in October will include an open skating session for the guests prior to the reception. So I just have to get back into top form.
Last Friday night Bobby and I headed to the local Wheaton Ice Arena for a $6.25 public skating session. It must have been the premier pre-teen hangout for 8pm on a Friday night. Gotta keep those kids off the streets!
We stepped out onto the ice. I was nervous but confident! My confidence soared when all of the other skaters had those horrid brown rental skates.
My old skates still fit! I'm sure my parents are happy their investment is continuing to be of value - they spent more than one pretty penny on the cost of this hobby!
Bobby humored me and came with his hockey skates, although he spent some time standing around trying to avoid getting run into by others. We were there about 45 minutes longer than I expected! It took me a little while to get going.
But after the zamboni came out to resurface the rink, I got my second wind. It felt really good. We didn't really get any other good pictures besides this one - I must have been going too fast!
The rink was very packed so it was difficult to get much momentum. The best part was when Bobby sent a 13 year old girl flying headfirst into the boards - but it was totally her fault. Part of skating is learning the proper way to stop, now she knows she needs to learn.
Neither of us fell so overall it was a great success! My plan is to attend an Adult Open Skate next, and then hopefully I'll be ready for the Freeskate sessions where I can practice jumps and spins!
-Laurie

Very interesting account of your weekend. Thanks. I enjoyed the picture of the umbrella lady. You sure don't see that out here in Minnesota, by golly.
ReplyDeleteWHOOOO!!! I am so pumped for the open skating at the wedding!!! Hopefully I don't rip my dress with all my sweet moves! LOL
ReplyDelete